Product Developer I
Obōz Footwear is a wholesale brand founded in 2007. Bozeman, Montana is an outdoor adventurer’s paradise and it’s our home. It's what motivates us to lace up daily and explore the 18 million acres of Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem that surround us. A vast and breathtaking landscape just waiting to be explored on two feet. Bozeman is where it all started and it’s what inspired our name. Outside + Bozeman = Obōz.
Our shoes are designed with one focus in mind, to get people out into the wilderness and onto the trail. True To The Trail® guides everything we do. From building great fitting footwear to how we give back to our community and the way we treat our planet. It's a mindset that grounds us in what's most important, doing things the right way. Because any other way just wouldn't be true to the trail.
Sustainability is at the heart of being true to the trail. We love the outdoors, and the way we figure, the more trees the more outdoors for us all to enjoy; so, we plant a tree for every pair of Obōz sold. Our HQ is powered by clean wind energy – 100% of our office power comes from wind farms in Central Idaho and Washington. We carbon-offset our shoe shipments, employee travel and the office utility bill. And, the shoes we don't sell make a difference, too – we donate our unsellable (but still trail-worthy) shoes, partnering with Project Sole and local non-profits to find feet in need.
Obōz has joined forces with the internationally recognized outdoor retailer, Kathmandu. Together Obōz and Kathmandu are working to bring Kathmandu North America to the wholesale market.
The Product Developer oversees the technical development of footwear from development to commercialization. Using critical thinking, customer feedback, understanding of industry trends and strong decision-making, provides options, recommendations and solutions.
- Manages seasonal development projects per the product calendar.
- Creates final Tech Packs (ai and PDF) at Development 1, 2, 3 and sale sample phases.
- Ensures samples deliver on time for review meetings at the Supplier and Oboz office.
- Ensures production issues are addressed and resolved.
- Reviews costing sheets and provides feedback.
- Uses professional expertise to offer ideas on product design, construction, components, materials and processes.
- Executes comprehensive fit and wear testing reports. Reviews results and works with the team to successfully resolve all product concerns.
- Reports to Product Development Manager. Employee and KPI reviews will happen every 6 months.
- Works with OBOZ Team (overseas and domestic), to make team based product decisions and inform leadership of product development progress.
- Works well with all Oboz departments (QA, Purchasing, Sales, Marketing, and Operations).
- Presents products, costing, materials, field testing results and construction in Development Phase meetings and Product Meetings.
- Works with external teams on the development of prototypes and field testing.
- Interfaces and negotiates with material vendors, suppliers and others to meet product development deadlines.
- Builds effective and productive relationships with overseas manufacturing teams and assures that timelines are met. Travels overseas 4 times/year.
- Travels to, attends and actively participates in tradeshows and sales meetings.
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering, fashion merchandising, industrial design or related field.
- Minimum of 1-2 years of work experience in footwear development and outdoor products.
- Manufacturing industry experience, especially in footwear strongly valued.
- Must have a comprehensive understanding of footwear construction methods, fit testing, physical testing and finished goods testing.
- Outdoor industry experience strongly valued, especially in footwear.
Superb project management skills, proven leadership capabilities, adaptable to changing priorities/business needs, creative/innovative, strong problem solver, relationship builder, ability to get tasks done through others, able to fulfill deadlines and commitments, excellent written and verbal skills, including proven ability to deal with diverse language challenges; highly organized, willing to take risks, capable of negotiating, fact-based, logical decision maker; enthusiastic, deeply committed to footwear field.
Obōz has a small but growing family-feel team. We are collaborative and thrive on cross-functional relationships.
We care about our customers, the outdoors and each other. Our office is relaxed and non-conventional with a dog-friendly culture. We love the outdoors and are passionate about doing the right thing for a more sustainable world for us all to share. We are proud of our amazing brand and we aspire create the best and most comfortable footwear in the world so everyone can enjoy the outdoors with us.
We want to share our success with other likeminded, passionate people who enjoy working in a fast-paced industry and share our company values.
As well as amazing footwear benefits and awesome folks to work with, Obōz offers a competitive compensation and benefits package including Medical, Dental, and vision, 401k retirement and paid time off.
Want to join us? Please send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please enter ‘Product Developer I’ in the subject line of your application email to identify the role for which you are applying. Review of resumes will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.