Obōz Footwear is a wholesale brand founded in 2007. Bozeman, Montana is an outdoor adventurer’s paradise and it’s our home. It's what motivates us to lace up daily and explore the 18 million acres of Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem that surround us. A vast and breathtaking landscape just waiting to be explored on two feet. Bozeman is where it all started and it’s what inspired our name. Outside + Bozeman = Obōz.
True to the Trail, and the four points of our compass; our people, your foot, the community, and the experience, guide everything we do.
As the Product Testing & Sample Coordinator, you will have the opportunity to work directly with our design & development teams from concept, through design, development, and manufacturing in order to help in delivering the best quality outdoor performance footwear to market. You will use strong communication and organizational skills, combined with growing technical footwear development knowledge to help our product team test, refine and perfect the functional aspects of our performance outdoor footwear by providing feedback throughout the design, development, and commercialization process. Your detailed feedback and analysis will contribute to establishing best-in-class product engineering practices that will drive the future of Oboz product. This position requires a unique entrepreneurial aptitude for translating real consumer needs and feedback into desired outdoor footwear product and must be capable of supporting the efforts of our product management, design, development, and engineering team members. This role will collaborate and partner with the wider Product Development team, Designers, and Product Line Managers to create functional footwear solutions that reinforce and strengthen initiatives and product construction needs.
The primary responsibilities of the Product Testing & Sample Coordinator are to plan, organize, and coordinate the completion of specific projects related to Performance Engineering, Fit, Functional, and Durability testing evaluations while ensuring that projects are completed on time and within scope. This role will also be responsible for coordinating the tracking of all sample orders and shipments relating to development and product testing ensuring on-time delivery, and the organization of all development and confirmation samples.
The primary functions of this role, include but are not limited to:
- Become the voice of the wearer. By spending significant time with hikers, ranging from world-class trail athletes to casual trail enthusiasts, you will become an expert on the needs of the wearer and how to meet those needs by helping inform the product team in making current and future product decisions.
- Lead and coordinate all aspects of the testing process; including planning, recruiting testers, administering tests, analyzing data, report writing, and program management.
- Lead feedback sessions to compile and analyze key consumer and performance insights.
- Actively support Product Management, Design, and Development with timely and concise testing feedback, facilitation solutions to issues while presenting timely and informative fit, function, and durability feedback from product testers throughout the footwear development process.
- Development support: learning how to build and innovate at the most intimate level of product creation.
- Support product presentations by adding to the storytelling for new products. Possibly help present to sales team and externally to retailers.
- Create final project summary presentations for senior management and archive project files for future reference.
- Daily communication with internal and external teams – design and development, QA, manufacturing, warranty, and 3rd party testing partners.
- Facilitation of development and product testing sample orders and shipment tracking, while providing complete transparency to product team on sample delivery expectations.
- Coordinate the organization and archiving of development and product confirmation samples.
What You Bring
- Bachelor’s degree; Engineering, Kinesiology/Physiology, Business or other related degree
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience in the outdoor footwear industry, product testing, development, engineering, retail, customer service or some combination, is preferred.
- Understanding of footwear fitting, and footwear components, materials, inline product processes is a plus.
- Strong capacity to analyze trends and make recommendations. Experience gathering and communicating consumer feedback and insights preferred.
- Scientific, biomechanical, technical, or analytical background with experience in analyzing data and making recommendations to improve product.
- Curiosity for continuous improvement, humble approach to team collaboration and a passion to drive for tangible innovation.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Fluent in Microsoft Office products and experience with Excel databases. Experience with Adobe Illustrator a plus but not required.
- Open to travel (international and domestic) 10% per year.
We’d love to hear from people with:
- Exceptional attention to detail
- Enthusiasm and a positive attitude
- Drive for excellence, a self-starter with problem-solving abilities
- Ability to work in a multi-tasked, fast-paced environment
- Excellent written and communication skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office program suite, Adobe Applications
Sustainability is at the heart of being true to the trail. We love the outdoors, and the way we figure, the more trees the more outdoors for us all to enjoy; so, we plant a tree for every pair of Obōz sold. Our HQ is powered by clean wind energy – 100% of our office power comes from wind farms in Central Idaho and Washington. We carbon-offset our shoe shipments, employee travel and the office utility bill. And, the shoes we don't sell make a difference, too – we donate our unsellable (but still trail-worthy) shoes, partnering with Project Sole and local non-profits to find feet in need.
Oboz has a small but growing family-feel team. We are collaborative and thrive on cross-functional relationships. We care about our customers, the outdoors and each other. Our office is relaxed and non-conventional with a dog-friendly culture and we have world class trails right outside our front door. We love the outdoors, and are passionate about doing the right thing for a more sustainable world for us all to share. We are proud of our amazing brand and we aspire create the best and most comfortable footwear in the world so everyone can enjoy the outdoors with us. We want to share our success with other passionate people who enjoy working in a fast-paced industry and share our company values.
As well as amazing footwear benefits and awesome folks to work with, Oboz offers a competitive compensation and benefits package including Medical, Dental, and vision, 401k retirement and paid time off.
Obōz Footwear is an Equal Opportunity Employer, all applications will be reviewed based on skill and qualifications for the role. As the “True to the Trail” brand, we are committed to being true to our people and hiring a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation or protected veteran status.
Want to join us?
Please send your resume and cover letter to Obozcareers@kathmandu.co.nz. Please enter "Product Testing & Sample Coordinator" in the subject line of your application email to identify the role for which you are applying. Review of resumes will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.