Obōz Footwear is a wholesale brand founded in 2007. Bozeman, Montana is an outdoor adventurer’s paradise and it’s our home. It's what motivates us to lace up daily and explore the 18 million acres of Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem that surround us. A vast and breathtaking landscape just waiting to be explored on two feet. Bozeman is where it all started and it’s what inspired our name. Outside + Bozeman = Obōz.
True to the Trail, and the four points of our compass; our people, your foot, the community, and the experience, guide everything we do.
The Senior Product Development Manager will lead the product creation and confirmation process from design stage through sales samples. This role will collaborate and partner with the wider Product Development team, Designers, and Product Line Managers to create functional footwear solutions that reinforce and strengthen initiatives and product construction needs. The Senior Product Development Manager must be a hands-on, creative problem solver with high proficiency in managing a large number of projects in a dynamic environment. The successful candidate will have the ability to work seamlessly with others, meet deadlines, communicate transparently and effectively across multiple cultures and locations, manage multiple priorities, work self-guided, take initiative, and pay close attention to detail.
The primary functions of this role include but are not limited to:
- Lead the product development process from brief and design stage, through prototyping and on to sales samples.
- Guide and execute timely approval of production confirmation samples to ensure a smooth transition into commercialization.
- Plan and implement development projects according to critical timelines and pre-planned dates.
- Problem-solve design tech package aspects prior to hand-off to sourcing for potential construction, material, fit & wear, or cost concerns.
- Generate and maintain correct Bill of Materials (BOM) for all projects.
- Lead and facilitate timely creation, delivery, and approval of all relevant technical information (shell patterns, 2Ds, 3Ds, lasts, patterns, blue-prints, cost sheets, etc.)
- Review and evaluate project status with the product creation and development teams with increasing mastery of patterns, mold processes, materials, pricing, yield & cost analysis, manufacturing processes and end use performance.
- Manage sample delivery to ensure all agreed upon milestones are hit.
- Lead product teardowns of samples to evaluate construction, material, fit, comfort, or cost concerns.
- Manage the diagnosis of fit/wear and commercialization issues and ensure that product offerings are proven and tested successfully to be commercialized for mass production.
- Give clear, concise and transparent communication to relevant stakeholders including overseas partners.
- Strive for continuous improvement and consistency of all performance-based aspects from design through production.
- Travel to development and production factories as necessary.
- Proactively problem-solve by identifying issues and presenting solutions options to teammates.
- Provide PLMs (Product Line Managers) and Designers with alternatives in constructions, materials, costing, duties, etc.
- Analyze technical drawings, lab tests, patterns, components, and lasts to identify and resolve any potential issues.
- Be an experienced professional able to use the tools of the trade including callipers, hardness gauge, tape measure, profile gauge, Brannock device, etc.
What You Bring
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in work experience
- 8-10+ years' experience in the footwear product development
- Thorough experience building product specifications
- In-depth knowledge of material applications for product use
- In-depth knowledge of product constructions, leathers, material, last, mold, compound development, and foot anatomy
- Ability to work in a complex global organization satisfying the needs of diverse constituents with competing deadlines and priorities
- Positive, objective and team-oriented leader
- Ability to effectively prepare and present information and respond to questions from management and other employees of the organization
- Ability to plan with foresight and anticipate impact of expected results
We’d love to hear from people with:
- Exceptional attention to detail
- Enthusiasm and a positive attitude
- Drive for excellence, a self-starter with problem-solving abilities
- Ability to work in a multi-tasked, fast-paced environment
- Excellent written and verbal skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office program suite, Adobe Applications
Sustainability is at the heart of being true to the trail. We love the outdoors, and the way we figure, the more trees the more outdoors for us all to enjoy; so, we plant a tree for every pair of Obōz sold. Our HQ is powered by clean wind energy – 100% of our office power comes from wind farms in Central Idaho and Washington. We carbon-offset our shoe shipments, employee travel and the office utility bill. And, the shoes we don't sell make a difference, too – we donate our unsellable (but still trail-worthy) shoes, partnering with Project Sole and local non-profits to find feet in need.
Oboz has a small but growing family-feel team. We are collaborative and thrive on cross-functional relationships. We care about our customers, the outdoors and each other. Our office is relaxed and non-conventional with a dog-friendly culture and we have world class trails right outside our front door. We love the outdoors, and are passionate about doing the right thing for a more sustainable world for us all to share. We are proud of our amazing brand and we aspire create the best and most comfortable footwear in the world so everyone can enjoy the outdoors with us. We want to share our success with other passionate people who enjoy working in a fast-paced industry and share our company values.
As well as amazing footwear benefits and awesome folks to work with, Oboz offers a competitive compensation and benefits package including Medical, Dental, and vision, 401k retirement and paid time off.
Obōz Footwear is an Equal Opportunity Employer, all applications will be reviewed based on skill and qualifications for the role. As the “True to the Trail” brand, we are committed to being true to our people and hiring a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation or protected veteran status.
Want to join us?
Please send your resume and cover letter to Obozcareers@kathmandu.co.nz. Please enter "Senior Product Development Manager" in the subject line of your application email to identify the role for which you are applying. Review of resumes will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.