Obōz Footwear is a wholesale brand founded in 2007. Our home, Bozeman, Montana, is an outdoor adventurer’s paradise and is what motivates us to lace up daily to explore the 18 million acres of Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem that surround us. Bozeman also inspired our name: Outside + Bozeman = Obōz. The four points of our compass—People, Community, Foot and Experience—guide everything we do in staying “True to the Trail.” We also plant a tree for every pair of footwear sold, and have since our beginning.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and all applications will be reviewed based on skill and qualifications for the role. As the “True to the Trail” brand, we are committed to being true to our people and hiring a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation or protected veteran status.
Our HQ is powered by clean wind energy – 100% of our office power comes from wind farms in Central Idaho and Washington. We carbon-offset our shoe shipments, employee travel and the office utility bill. And, the shoes we don't sell make a difference, too – we donate our unsellable (but still trail-worthy) shoes, partnering local and national non-profits to find feet in need.
Obōz Footwear is looking for a Associate Product Developer to join the team!
The Associate Product Developer will support the product creation and confirmation process from design stage through sales samples. This role will collaborate and partner within the product creation triad—product management, design, and development—to create functional, performance footwear solutions that support and strengthen product initiatives. The Associate Product Developer must be a hands-on, creative problem solver experienced in managing projects in a dynamic, fast-paced environment. The successful candidate will have the ability to work seamlessly with others, meet deadlines, communicate transparently and effectively across multiple cultures and locations, balance multiple priorities, take initiative, and pay close attention to detail.
The primary functions of this role include but are not limited to:
- With guidance, plan and execute product development projects from brief and design stage through prototyping and sales samples.
- Complete the approval of production confirmation samples on time to ensure a smooth transition into commercialization.
- Initiate development projects according to critical timelines and pre-planned dates.
- Partner with the Product Development Coordinator to ensure all agreed upon product creation testing objectives and brand milestones are met.
- Participate in the evaluation of test results to help diagnose and resolve fit, wear, and performance issues prior to commercialization and mass production.
- Generate and maintain detailed, accurate BOMs for all projects.
- Collaborate with other development team members to problem solve design tech packages prior to hand-off to factories for potential performance, construction, material, cost, fit, and quality concerns.
- Gain and apply experience working with technical drawings, lab test results, patterns, components, and lasts to identify and resolve any potential issues.
- Facilitate the timely creation, delivery, and approval of all relevant technical information (shell patterns, 2Ds, 3Ds, lasts, patterns, blue-prints, cost sheets, lab testing, etc.).
- Learn to effectively use tools of the trade including callipers, hardness gauge, tape measure, profile gauge, Brannock device, etc.
- Proactively problem solve by identifying issues and presenting solutions to teammates.
- Collaborate with other development team members to provide product line managers and designers with alternatives in constructions, materials, costing, duties, etc.
- Review and evaluate project status with the product creation triad with increasing mastery of patterns, mold processes, materials, pricing, yield and cost analysis, and manufacturing processes.
- Actively contribute at sample teardown meetings with the product creation triad to evaluate performance, construction, material, fit, comfort, cost, and quality concerns.
- Communicate clearly, concisely, and transparently with internal and external stakeholders, including overseas partners.
- Support objectives for continuous process improvement and efficiency throughout the product creation process.
What You Bring
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience.
- 1+ years' experience in footwear product creation. Related supply chain experience also considered.
- Familiarity with footwear product specifications.
- Ability to evaluate cost breakdown sheets.
- Basic knowledge of upper and bottom material applications and processes.
- Basic knowledge of footwear constructions, leather, materials, lasts, molding, compound development, and foot anatomy.
- Ability to work in a complex, fast-paced global organization.
- Ability to recognize the needs of diverse constituents with competing deadlines and priorities.
- Positive, open minded team member.
- Ability to effectively prepare and present information and transparently respond to questions from management and other employees of the organization.
- Ability to plan with foresight and anticipate impact of expected results.
- Exceptional attention to detail.
- Enthusiasm and a positive attitude.
- High level of curiosity.
- Drive for excellence with problem-solving abilities.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office program suite and Adobe Applications.
- Domestic and international travel to development centers, production factories, supplier facilities, trade shows, and brand events as necessary.
Company Social Responsibility
- Display an active commitment towards brand purpose and values.
- Embrace opportunities to introduce new, sustainable ideas for innovation.
- Support the promotion of human rights throughout the business.
- Acts without delay to address serious human rights and labor rights violations that threaten the safety and wellbeing of Oboz employees, customers or those working in factories as part of the Oboz global supply chain.
- Follow all company procedures and policies as specified in the Oboz company handbook and support company efforts in all environmental, social and governance (ESG) actions.
Oboz has a small but growing family-feel team. We are collaborative and thrive on cross-functional relationships. We care about our customers, the outdoors, and each other. Our office is relaxed and non-conventional with a dog-friendly culture and we have world class trails right outside our front door. We love the outdoors and are passionate about doing the right thing for a more sustainable world for us all to share. We are proud of our amazing brand, and we want to share our success with other passionate people who enjoy working in a fast-paced industry and share our company values.
As well as amazing footwear benefits and awesome folks to work with, Oboz offers a competitive compensation and benefits package including Medical, Dental, and vision, 401k retirement and paid time off.
Want to join us?
Role located in Bozeman, MT.
Apply Here. Review of resumes will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.